I just whipped up this super easy, super cheap tailored bed skirt.
Here’s a close up just in case you didn’t notice all of the crap important stuff shoved under the bed. This is hubby’s side of the bed, and in his defense, we have really small closets, so lots of things get stored under the bed.
I found these window panels at Target on clearance. They rang up at $1.98 each so I bought three. They are the perfect, neutral woven fabric.
Here’s how I did it:
I cut the panels lengthwise into two 20” by 63” pieces. I zig zag stitched along the raw edge since they seemed to be unraveling like crazy. Then I joined them together along the short edge so I had a piece about 20” wide by 124” long.
Since the long edge was already hemmed, I didn’t have to hem the edge.
I trimmed off both edges so the ends would be nice and straight. Then I measured the side of my bed, added 1” for each side hem, and 8” for each pleat, and cut my long fabric piece to this length. I sewed a 1” hem on each side edge.
This is a really badly drawn diagram of the pleat. Because the pleat folds back on itself, each 2” pleat adds 8” to the required measurement. I pressed my pleat and then stitched across the top raw edges to hold it in place.
My neighbor just saw my post and showed me her bedskirt. It’s a similar style that can be put on without having to lift your mattress. She got it on Amazon. It wasn’t quite as cheap as mine, but it wasn’t very expensive either!
|Pin this one^^!|